1. The official name of Greece is the Hellenic Republic.
2. No one in Greece can choose to not vote. Voting is required by law for every citizen who is 18 or older.
3. Greece Is the “Sunniest” Country In Europe.
4. Greece has more archaeological museums than any other country in the world.
5. Greece is the third largest producer of olives in the entire world.
6. Greeks do not wave with an open hand. In fact, it is considered an insult to show the palm of the hand with the fingers extended. Greeks wave with the palm closed.
7. Greek, the official language of Greece has been spoken for more than 30 century, making it one of the oldest languages in Europe.
8. The first Olympic Games took place in 776 B.C. The first Olympic champion was a Greek cook named Coroebus who won the sprint race.
9. It’s estimated that Greece has anywhere from 1,200 to 6,000 islands. But of these only 166 to 227 are inhabited.
10. Ancient Greek democracy, the world’s first, lasted for only 185 years.
11. The word “school” comes from the ancient Greek for “free time.”
12. In ancient Greece, throwing an apple at someone was done to declare one’s love.
13. A Greek Movie; Daphnis and Chloe (1931) Included the First Nude Scene in European Cinema History.
14. Greece Is the Only Country in the World That Receives Double Its Population in Tourists.
15. The Greek National Basketball Team were the Last to Defeat the US “Dream Team.”
These were the 15 fun facts about Greece that you should’ve known! 🙂
Let us know in the comment section below any point you think we missed and which one did you like the most?
So this vacation, Go Greek! 🙂